Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fear.

"You have nothing to fear but fear itself." Fear has the power to completely affect a person's mind and body. However, we have the ability to control our fear; it does not have to consume us.

As a child, I was a worrier. I tossed and turned at night, contemplating some of the worst possible situations and letting fear completely consume me. At age eleven, I had been a child of God and a believer for a few years. I had accepted God's grace and knew that there was a place for me beside Him in heaven. Unfortunately, the enemy had other plans. Satan didn't like what I was becoming and decided to do something about it.

During this time I began to have small doubts about my salvation. These occasional tugs towards uncertainty soon escalated into violent anxiety attacks. I allowed fear to take hold of me and fell into the trap set for my by the enemy. One minute I was lying on my bed peacefully drifting to sleep, then next minute my entire body was trembling and tears were streaming down my face. I was petrified of the possibility that closing my eyes might mean never opening them again. Furthermore, I was unsure of my future after death; I seriously doubted whether I was truly destined for heaven. In these moments, the doubts were all too real; I knew fear.

But fear is no longer my master. After many failed attempts to conquer it on my own, I learned the secret. "Perfect love drives out all fear." Christ's perfect love for me, demonstrated on the cross had the power to disarm Satan and expel all fear from my mind. When I recognized those fearful doubts creeping up, I would cry out to God for help, and He always came to my rescue.

Alone we are controlled, no consumed by our fear. If we allow it, fear has the power to completely take us captive. However, our Heavenly Father does not wish for us a life of fear. Through his power, we can overcome that which frightens us the most.

No comments: